Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday

Today is the "big easy" day. There is an interfaith kickoff this morning but I'm not the church-going sort. But the real fun starts tonight. The Friends of New Orleans events are the official kick-off. We are coming up on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina and it is being recognized as a colossal failure of the Bush administration and to recognize the rebuilding efforts of the Gulf Coast. My family is there still and it is my home turf. I expect it will be a rollicking good time. I'm conflicted about the BIG event tonight, the New Orleans All-Star Jam-Balaya. It's $500 but has a who's-who list of stars from the Big Easy. Harry Shearer, James Carville, Donna Brazile, John Larroquette, Randy Newman, Marcia Ball, and a bunch of the musical acts I grew up listening to. I don't even know if tickets are still available but I don't think I can resist the party. It's in my blood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy Newman is one of my New Orleans favorites. I'm glad to hear he is a Democrat. You, of all people, should be at that event. ek

Anonymous said...

You should go. What's $500/$1000 in the big scheme of things? At least you won't walk away with regrets for not going. Besides, some of us need to vicariously party through you.

-Andi